Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Being demo-strative

I hope everyone had a lovely holiday. Mine was nice and quiet, even though there was an overdose of Barbara Streisand movies where she's Wronged By The Man She Loves. (Don's mom was visiting, and is a fan of the genre.) I also got a rocking pair of shoes! I win!

I've been working the demo station at Trader Joe's a lot lately, and it's an interesting contrast to regular work. When you are normally helping a customer, there's an implication that you owe it to be nice to them, because they are buying things so you can earn a living. They're paying the bills. But when your job is to give free food to them, it's a little murkier. They aren't owed that second fucking cheese and cracker, and you can tell them NO, which in the customer service industry, is the equivalent of "fuck off, you motherfucking piece of shit." I mean, they CAN go complain to the manager and get the second cracker and cheese morsel, but most sane people realize the cost to their dignity, and move on with their life, sadder and a little less cheese-and-cracker sated. This is a heady power in a place where your income depends on making cranky old people believe their life is better if they buy some cheap wine and frozen enchiladas. I have to try and use it for good, not evil.
Downsides are having to see people talk with their mouths full of food, having to say the same thing all night long (This is out fully cooked pot roast!!!! Three minutes in the microwave!!!!), and having to talk to lonely people, who take advantage of the fact that you're required to stand in one place and smile a lot. Since I was in a very real danger of becoming like this, I emphasize and try to be polite.
I would be remiss if I didn't include here the most incredible thing that happened to me in the demo trenches. This weekend we were sampling pot roast (see above for details), and it was literally a giant hunk of fatty meat that we sliced pieces off of and put in little cups. There was the option of forks, but most people took it like a shot and moved on. Let me set the scene:

(Rochelle removes the steaming meat hunk from the microwave safe container and lays it on the cutting board. It is the size of a toddler's head. People start congregating around, holiday stress and the smell of meat sends their brains reeling to a fevered pitch.)

Rochelle: Just one minute guys!!!!! I'll be giving out samples!!!!!

(Rochelle slices off a hunk and puts it in a cup, looking down at her work.)

Rochelle: This is our fully cooked pot roast!!! You heat it in the microwave in about 3 minutes!!!!

(Places first sample down, continues to look down and cut second sample.)

Customer 1: Thank you!

Customer 2: UH, EXCUSE ME- DID YOU NOT SEE ME STANDING HERE FIRST!???!!!!

(Rochelle looks up from her work.)

Rochelle: Um, I'm sorry, but everyone is going to get a sample. (Indicates toddler-head-sized meat hunk before her.)

(Customer 2 goggles in disbelief at the rudeness, then THROWS DOWN FORK ON THE TABLE AND WALKS OUT OF STORE.)

END SCENE.

REALLY. SHE THREW DOWN THE FORK SHE HAD BEEN HOLDING IN ANTCIPATION OF EATING SOME DELICIOUS POT ROAST AND WALKED OUT, HER ENTIRE EXPERIENCE RUINED BECAUSE THE LAW OF FIRSTIES HAD BEEN BROKEN. Sorry for the caps explosion, but that is how I felt about it. ALL IN CAPS. I left her fork where she threw it all night, so I could keep reminding myself that this had actually happened. Amazing.

Second best story:

Rochelle: Would you like a sample of fully cooked pot roast?

Customer: Oh, I got one already. (Points to open mouth, where Rochelle can see, yes, they did get a sample.)


I meant to post this when it happened last week, but it snowed! It was incredibly exciting! All the pictures Don took of me I looked pissed off, but it was cold and snow was blowing in my face. It's hard to pull of looking good in those situations.



I also want to point out that Don had just finished his semester finals after a super intense 3 months the day before. Next to that giddiness, I couldn't compete.

We brought Frisky out to show him the new world:



I think this is one of my favorite pictures of all time. I like the way it looks posed like a religious icon, the fact that my hat and the tree in the background match, my colorful outfit against the snowy background. Plus, I feel like you can tell me and Frisky have a very strong bond from this picture. Which is true. Frisky was really shocked by the snow, I think. He was tranced out all night in his cage.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

HAHA! holy jesus. rochelle, that was the funniest blog i have read in ages! in fact, i am going to post a link to it on my blog when i get home from work, so that other people will see it and laugh so loudly that they wake up their roommates, just like i did!

Ilan S. said...

That is indeed a fantastic picture Rochelle. I am actually one of those people who hang out by the sample table and eat sometimes two or three of the delicious samples in front of me. It's hard to resist! But I would never feel like I'm entitled to seconds. The free coffee is also a nice touch.

Michelle Koury said...

i love telling people who are so angry about not having a trader joes that i hate trader joes. they always look at me like i am the anti christ. i also tell those same people how i am anti ikea. apparently it is all the same crowd. the crowd of hate which may be similar to the crown of thorns. i am not sure how any of that made sense.

Tracykins said...

I had to read this one aloud for S's entertainment. Sorry for the see-food incident. And I swear - people always get so grumpy around the holidays! I still promote quitting, but then again, I'm job-less, so maybe I am just looking for some company.

Steven Spate said...

big ups to tom for linking to this. i didn't even know this blog existed. but super good funny business.