Wednesday, June 10, 2009

hi I'm at work being a slacker

So when I come out to San Diego now, people mention that I look like I've lost weight. I always think "Hmm, why would I have? My life is, if anything, more sedentary than when I lived over here and made an effort to leave my desk chair."

But this just happened in the R&D Kitchen at work:

Me: (Wandering around looking for food.) "Hey Matthew have you guys made any more cookies?"

Matthew: "No, we're just about to make some. Want some of this cookie dough?" (Offers lump of chocolate cookie dough the size of my fist.)

Me: YES.



OK GOT IT. Working from home: A good way to not stuff gobs of raw cookie dough into your hungry little face.

5 comments:

Michelle Koury said...

that's funny because i thought you looked, or rather sounded a little more bostonian.

Ilan S. said...

This brings up an interesting debate. Is it ever okay to comment on a persons appearance when weight has been gained or lost? I feel like either way it's going to be taken in a negative way. Discuss.

Angela said...

Ilan -- If you know a person who has been attempting to lose weight - diet exercise, etc., then commenting on the weight loss is noticing the results of their effort, and I think would be pretty universally appreciated. (I realize that isn't what's going on here, but that would be a case where it would be a good thing.)

chelle marie said...

As far as the comments go, I definitely appreciate the sentiment that I'm looking good. It was just puzzling to me because I haven't been working on my fitness or anything- the lightbulb didn't go off until I was stuffing my face with raw cookie dough that maybe my work enviroment change had a lot to do with this other change. Basically, I have very little willpower to resist the tempatations of working in a place with food and working fryers around all the time.

I agree with Angela- weight loss comments are always appreciated. Weight gain though- almost always better to say nothing at all.

Angela said...

some people are hard to please, though -- you compliment them on their weight loss and they say (or think) "you mean I looked fat and ugly before, don't you!" But if they're trying to lose weight then you can just make it a compliment on their achieving their goals, which is more neutral.

And I lost about 10 pounds when I moved to Iowa, and I decided it was because in Oakland I lived across the street from a little convenience store that sold Ben & Jerrys. Once I moved from that apartment, my ice cream consumption went down dramatically.